- 1 Cleaning Solvents Are Important!
- 2 Best Gun Cleaning Solvents
- 2.1 Break-Free – Best Cleaning Gun Spray
- 2.2 Hoppes 9 Gun Cleaner – Best Bore Cleaner
- 2.3 CLP by Sage & Braker – CLP Spray Bottle
- 2.4 Slip2000 – Lubricant And Gun Cleaner
- 2.5 Ballistol Aerosol – Best Weapon Cleaner Spray
- 2.6 Tetra – Best Gun Grease
- 2.7 Lucas Gun Oil
- 2.8 Hoppes No. 9 – Best Lubricant For Gun Cleaning
- 2.9 M-Pro7 – The Best Gun Cleaning Oil
- 2.10 Pro-Shot – Best CLP Needle Oiler
- 3 Things To Keep In Mind When Using a Solvent Gun Cleaner
- 4 Our Verdict: What Is The Best Cleaning Solvent?
- 5 Final Thoughts
Cleaning Solvents Are Important!
The purpose of gun cleaning solvent is to protect your weapon from the elements. Some solvents are better than others and some are specifically designed for specific purposes. We try to provide you with a little more about each solvent so that you can make an informed decision. Although we have our preferred solvents, we do not want them to reflect your decision-making because there are so many that I did not have the opportunity to try them. Keeping your gun clean with a good cleaning product (CLP) is probably the best thing you can do. You should prevent the accumulation of moisture and condensation. If your gun is wet and you leave it lying on a shelf or in a safe for a few days, you’ll find that it can oxidize quickly. Leaving the water in your gun is a very bad idea and can quickly ruin it.
When looking for solvents for cleaning weapons, some important factors must be considered. You have asked us many questions about the best cleaning products for firearms. In this review, we take a look at the most popular options from professionals. Most gun cleaning kits do not contain a pistol cleaning solvent, so you will need to buy it separately. Fast cleaning with a bore snake requires just a touch of CLP to clean your weapon. For a thorough cleaning, different oils and detergents are required. We will cover the best lubricants and protectors for gun cleaners and you will learn why they are the best. If you are a user of a bore snake kit, you will find that it already comes with these two cleaning solvents. If you do not use a drill and buy a cleaning kit, you will need to buy these two solvents separately.
Best Gun Cleaning Solvents
Break-Free – Best Cleaning Gun Spray
- Penetrates and spreads along metal surfaces into every pit and crevice to undercut contamination and lift residue away where it can be removed.
- Long-lasting lubricating film dramatically reduces adhesion of sand, grit or other abrasives which cause wear and failure.
- Corrosion inhibitors prevent the formation of rust while Break-Free's unique boundary film protects metal surfaces from moisture and other contaminants.
Over the years, we’ve tried almost all CLPs looking for the best spray cleaner, and many people trust Break Free CLP and say it’s the best spray to clean the guns they use. It has been a popular choice for years and there were only positive comments. This CLP has very good weather tolerance and works in all conditions, which is why it has probably become so popular. In fact, it is the most popular CLP used by the US military. To clean all rifles, pistols and even tanks. Break-free comes in cans of aerosols or spray bottles. Most people prefer a spray aerosol with the small straw at the end to aim at single points.
Hoppes 9 Gun Cleaner – Best Bore Cleaner
This is called a quick clean and only takes about a minute. Hoppe is the most widely used dust, lead, metal scouring and rust remover. Hoppe has been producing hole cleaning solvents for over 100 years, thanks to science. Most people like to use this with a CLP to clean their weapons. Many people use this solvent instead of a CLP and they find it too. We’ve used several different CLPs over the years and Hoppe is by far the best cleaner. One of my favorite things about this cleaner is the smell. Probably one of my favorite flavor oils of all cleaning solvents in this list. The main use of the Hoppe bore cleaner is its use with a bore snake. The bore snakes are not included in the gun cleaning kits, but they are important for quickly cleaning your weapon. After firing your weapon, use a bore snake with a Hoppe bore cleaner.
CLP by Sage & Braker – CLP Spray Bottle
- UNBEATABLE GUN CLEANING // Other CLPs leave an oily coating, don't clean properly and use harsh toxic chemicals, but NOT at Sage & Braker. We use a highly penetrating solvent to will infiltrate every surface on a micro level to provide a deeper and cleaner solution to carbon, lead and copper fouling. The aggressive cleaning of our Clean, Lube and Protect will remove crud from your firearms after years of neglect, all while NOT using harsh chemicals that can poison those that use it
- PROTECT YOUR FIREARMS FROM FAILURE // Feel confident that your firearms will be well protected from corrosion and rust. Even more important, our formula provides carbon and contamination management during the use of your weapon. Our formula greatly reduces static (which promotes the attachment of carbon and contaminants). You depend on your firearms and need them to work when you need them most. Don't allow second rate CLPs to compromise the integrity of your guns.
- SMOOTH ACTION FOR RELIABLE PERFORMANCE // Our CLP coats and protects the bore and all moving parts on your firearm. It also provides working components of the firearm improved heat dissipation resulting in cooler weapon operation temperatures. Our formula enhances a complete burn of the powder in your cartridge, creating a more consistent FPS and therefore a more accurate shot.
This CLP spray is best to clean, lubricate, protect. This solvent is very clean and smells very good. What took 10 minutes with other solvents, takes half the time with this CLP. It works perfectly with bore snakes or brushes for complete cleaning. If your weapons are known to attract dust, like mine, this solvent is a miracle. It stops the dust and cleans and lubricates at the same time.
- It contains no strong-smelling chemicals and will not affect the bluish finish of your favorite firearms.
- Non-hazardous, biodegradable and non-toxic, it seems that the cleanliness of your firearms will not harm your environment.
- With this in mind, we are working on the most effective CLP to reach the market, which significantly reduces the adhesion of debris to the surface of firearms.
- Covers and protects the hole and all moving parts of your weapon.
- Our CLP provides working components to improve the heat dissipation of firearms, resulting in colder operating temperatures.
Slip2000 – Lubricant And Gun Cleaner
- Lubricates, cleans and provides a long lasting protective coating that reduces friction and metal wear
- Protects against corrosion and will not attract dust, dirt or sand and works in all types of environments
- Will not burn off like a petroleum products and is safe to use on metal, wood, plastic parts
SLiP2000 is designed for extreme weather conditions, so it is the best choice if you stay in a very cold or hot weather. When looking for the best cleaners and lubricants, it was found that many did not meet the expectations of gun owners. Anyone who used this lubricant for cleaning weapons could report only good things. So, what do you say, you could think? Other CLPs do not work well in extreme cold conditions and aerosols may not work properly. If the weather is too cold, the solvent will become sticky and almost impossible to clean. We always try to ask other shooters which cleaning kits and lubricants they like the most. We were surprised to discover that many of them turn to this special lubricant. We saw a lot of videos on cleaning kits, weapons YouTube, CLP guides, and the only lubricant cleaning that keeps sprouting from some of the best weapons instructors is this one.
- This lubricant remains 5 times moister than any other conventional lubricant. Reduces friction and wear
- It protects against corrosion and does not attract dust, dirt or sand and works in all environments
- It will not burned-off as petroleum products and it is safe to use in metal, wood, plastic parts
- It prevents the adhesion of carbon, copper, lead, and plastic and reduces the cleaning time by 50%
- Nontoxic and harmless.
Ballistol Aerosol – Best Weapon Cleaner Spray
- Biodegradable; won't harm the environment
- 1.5 oz. Aerosol Can
- Perfect for lubricating and protecting firearms and just about anything else
Break-Free and Ballistol are similar and have been used by many for decades. Multi-purpose cleaner Ballistol weapons were first developed by the German Army over more than 100 years ago by the German scientists. It was the first and best gun cleaning solvent designed ever. Scientists worked to develop a formula that would be a universal cleansing formula for cleaning all weapons. The people who use it say that this solvent is the best spray cleaner for weapons and that it’s worth its weight in gold. Many people use it to cleanse and protect not only the guns but the boots, knives, holsters, backpacks, clothing, motors, wheels, etc. It is non-toxic and has a very good earthy smell.
- It will not harm the environment
- 6 oz sprayer
- Perfect for smearing and protecting firearms and almost anything
- Preserves and protects metal, wood, leather, and plastics
- Slightly alkaline; neutralizes the effects of sweat and skin oils
Tetra – Best Gun Grease
- Tetra Gun Grease original synthetic lubricant protectant
- Handles wide operating temperature range
- Fluoropolymer white grease
When you save your weapon after cleaning, you need to keep it for a long time. This grease is primarily intended for rubbing on firearms that are stored for extended periods of time. The reason why oils are not recommended is that the oil will begin to evaporate or harden over time, which will damage the gun over time. If you buy a new weapon several times, you will find it a thin layer of grease on all metal parts. This helps to prevent corrosion that can accumulate on the shelf of the store. If the gun is in its original packaging, you can assume that it has been lubricated by the manufacturer. Most gun stores reduce the weapon before selling. The point I’m trying to make here is that grease is designed to protect your weapon for long-term storage. Tetra grease is colorless and should be rubbed with the pistol before being stored. It has a strong smell but will fade in about 24 hours.
Lucas Gun Oil
- Excellent for long-term storage
- Use on fishing reels
- Excellent household oil
This oil has been developed to prevent blockage and overheating of rifles like the AR 15 rifle and machine guns. Lucas Gun Oil is the popular choice for many hunters because it is odorless. All you need is a few drops in the bolt of the gun or the shotgun and you’re done. A very cost-effective option for all firearms owners, make sure to keep in mind that this is not a CLP and should not be used for lubricating your gun after using CLP. It acts as a lubricant and protection, therefore, a popular option is to use the Hoppe for cleaning and Lucas Oil for parts cleaning.
- Excellent for long-term storage
- Could be used on fishing reels
- Excellent Household oil
Hoppes No. 9 – Best Lubricant For Gun Cleaning
- High-viscosity oil refined to perfection
- Ideal for firearms, fishing reels, and other precision mechanisms
- Extra-long lasting, Does not harden, gum or expire
This is Amazons # 1 to choose the best lubricant for the weapon, so we must include it in the list. A very popular option in a perfectly designed bottle with a tight lid for kids. One of the most common is CLP combinations of it with the bore cleaner and swabs with wooden handles. This is by far the most popular CLP we’ve seen. What makes it so popular? Hoppe has been around for a long time and has developed a variety of different solvents for gun cleaning that you can find on their website. They are a reliable brand and their products are truly among the best, especially their lubricating oils. Many lubricants are not synthetic, which makes them a little different from others. Many people rely on this synthetic compound, which has been a popular Hoppe product for over a century. They have improved and tested the connection for a long time and it really is one of the best lubricants and protectors.
- An advanced oil designed especially for modern gunfire
- Provides a barrier against moisture and corrosion
- It also works well on fishing reels and other mechanisms
- Lubrication and protection are superior to all areas of your weapon, which reduces friction
- Made in the USA
M-Pro7 – The Best Gun Cleaning Oil
- M-Pro7 070-1453 4oz 7 lpx gun oil
- Product: bottle
- Manufactured by M-Pro7
We have received many questions about the best gun cleaner. Many people like the M-Pro and use the solvent with the bore snake M-Pro. I have used oil and protection for many years and they are one of my favorites. Designed to operate in all-weather conditions, this oil is a favorite for many. It acts as a lubricant and protection, so you need a separate cleaner.
- M-Pro7 070-1453 4 ounces 7 LPX oil gun
- Product: Bottle
- Made by M-Pro7
- Cleaner – Lubricant – Protection
Pro-Shot – Best CLP Needle Oiler
- Great for those othewise unreachable areas with traditional application methods
- Anti-wear additivies,Anti-Oxidants
- Provides superior smooth performance and Protection on all moving metal parts
Many people like to pick up a needle oiler in their gun cleaning kit. It’s the best needle oil we could find and it was a tough decision between this and Hoppes. But we are tired of putting all Hoppe products on our list, so we thought we would check the competition. It’s a bit cheaper and has a good red fluid and a better needle. This not only protects but also cleanses and lubricates the parts of your weapon that you touch with this needle. It is designed for hard-to-reach places.
- Ideal for areas that would not be accessible using traditional application methods
- Anti-wear additives, antioxidants
- Provides superior performance and gentle protection for all moving metal parts
- All pro-shot products are made in the USA
Things To Keep In Mind When Using a Solvent Gun Cleaner
Although it is not very difficult to choose a good cleaning solvent, there are so many to choose that they can be confusing. We hope to see our list of top 10 answers to most of the common questions, but we wanted to give some tips and tricks on choosing the best solvent for cleaning weapons.
- Secure Your Weapon
While you are cleaning your weapon, you must secure it with a good gun vise. While not absolutely necessary, this will prevent you from scratching the inside of the barrel and damaging other parts of your weapon. Do not make the mistake of using a traditional bench press as this can easily damage your firearms. With a good gun cleaning mat, you can also protect your surfaces. If you filter the CLP on your wooden table, it will be difficult to remove it.
- Do Not Let It Leak
Always check that the cover is tight. Many people often complain that their CLP is leaking everywhere. This can be avoided by simply pressing on the lid or making sure the bottle is not upside down when storing. Use plastic bottles that are not leaking and label them. I like that because you can store several small bottles of cleaning solution in a storage box. If you plan to take your solvents with you when shooting, you should always keep them in a good gun cleaning box. This can be as simple as a tackle box or your weapon cleaning bag. It is well-known that many solvents leak, so it is important to keep them separate from your daily equipment.
- What’s The Weather Like?
One of the most important things to consider in all CLPs is the climate. If you spray an aerosol against the icy air, freezing problems can occur. The CLP type you use must be adapted to the climate in which you are shooting. Most of the solvents listed on this page work in extreme weather conditions, but not all of them are designed to do so. Therefore check it twice.
- Firearms Types
Different solvents are made for different firearms. We recommend that you pay particular attention to solvents. Most of these solvents are designed for typical modern firearms. However, they will work for old firearms and you should not have to worry much.
Our Verdict: What Is The Best Cleaning Solvent?
The vast majority gun owners have been using the Hoppe Nozzle Cleaner for many years and have been very involved. Although it should be used in combination with other solvents as it is not technically CLP, it is the best whole cleaner. However, it is just a cleaner and not a lubricant or a protector. I know that some people who use it like CLP and their rifles are good, but I like to use aerosols.
Choosing the best cleaning solvents for guns is very important if you want your guns to operate at peak performance. Do not just go with the products of the renowned brand and hope for the best, because new products always come out with new technologies. We hope that you have learned a few things by reading this list of weapons cleaners. We’ve found that there is no optimal solvent for cleaning weapons, and you may need to use multiple solvents to keep your weapons clean as needed.
Found my passion for firearms while serving in the United States Army. I served active time and currently still in the reserves. I earned the German Schützenschnur, or German Armed Forces Badge for weapons proficiency while stationed in Germany, earning a Bronze medal for that event. I built this firearm blog to educate beginners on shooting gear, firearms, safety, firing fundamentals, and all other sorts of firearm topics.