- 1 The Best Concealed Carry Holsters In Six Holster Categories
- 1.1 Best OWB Holster- Alien Gear Cloak Mod Holster
- 1.2 Best IWB Holster- Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster
- 1.3 Best Belly Band Holster- ComfortTac Ultimate Belly Band Holster
- 1.4 Best Ankle Holster- Lirisy Ankle Holster
- 1.5 The Best Shoulder Holster- Gould & Goodrich 804 G17 Gold Line Shoulder Holster
- 1.6 Best Gun Belt- Bullbelt Steel Core
- 2 What Should You Look For In A Gun Holster?
- 3 Is It Necessary To Have The Best Concealed Carry Holster?
- 4 What makes a Great Concealed Carry Holster?
- 5 Different types of Concealed Carry Holsters
- 6 Conclusion
Are you planning to carry your gun along with you? Running errands or doing daily activities with your gun? Carrying the handgun with your hands is without a doubt out of the picture. Obviously that would be very unsafe. You’d probably even scare people! If you are holding your gun it’s either for an emerging threat or emergency. The safety of the gun needs utmost consideration even when you are not planning to use it. Equipping yourself with one of the best concealed carry holsters is a great way to conceal your gun.
The Best Concealed Carry Holsters In Six Holster Categories
I find it appealing to conceal my handgun whenever I am not planning to use it. Like I mentioned above, leaving it in plain sight would be disastrous. Concealing weapons makes it difficult for third parties to access them. Holsters are usually attached to your belt or waistline. This makes it easy for you to access your weapon. The location of the holster on your body makes it a daunting task for other people to grab it from you. In this article, we will tackle the 6 best concealed carry holsters from different concealed carry positions. This ensures we cover the best holster in each carry position within a short time frame.
Best OWB Holster- Alien Gear Cloak Mod Holster
The Alien Gear Cloak Mod Holster is one of the most sought-after holsters in the market. Its features make it ideal for use by security personnel and citizens. The holster’s rigid back plate is equipped with different belt mounting points which helps put your weapon in place. The top surface has a high-drag thermos elastomeric feature that aids in holding your firearm in the best position possible. Should you encounter difficulties in setting the retention ability, this holster has its base attached with a custom-molded retention shell. By the way, Alien gear makes some of the best concealed carry holsters on the market!
- Adjustable retention
- Worn both as a paddle holster or belt holster
- Open tip for smooth draw and re-holstering
- Spring steel flex plate that increases the weapon’s retention
Best IWB Holster- Concealment Express IWB Kydex Holster
This concealment express holster is designed to cover every type of handgun in the market. It is placed inside the waistband by use of a gun belt and concealed by putting on an un-tucked shirt. Kydex, which is the material used in its manufacture is thick enough to facilitate its smooth texture. This helps in prolonging the holster’s lifetime. Contrary to expectations, the material used does not primarily alter the holster’s weight.
This type of IWB Holster is equipped with a complete Full Sweat Shield that helps your gun stay dry. Have you ever been stranded when re-holstering your weapon? The sweat shield will help guide you when re-holstering. It has a Posi-Click Audible Retention Lock System that notifies you whenever the gun is properly holstered. Not only is your weapon snapped inside the holster, but also safe since the trigger is covered. Forget about any chances of bizarre accidents happening.
- Fits all the Glock Handguns models
- Retention Pressure is easily adjustable
- Posi-Click Audible Retention Lock System
- Carry Angle ranging between 0-15 degrees.
- Incorporates a Full Sweat Shield to protect your weapon from absorbing wetness.
- Weighs a total of 2.5 oz
Best Belly Band Holster- ComfortTac Ultimate Belly Band Holster
The ComfortTac belly band holster is made from neoprene material which is the softest of all. Personally, I think some of the best concealed carry holsters are made from this material. Apart from feeling cool on your skin, neoprene has a thicker surface that facilitates an equal distribution of your guns weight on it. This makes the holster feel very comfortable!
A majority of holsters keep your hands tied when picking out your desired choice of clothing. This type of holster is the exact opposite. It can be put on a variety of clothing ranging from suits, skirts, gym attires, yoga pants, etc.
- Width of 5 inches
- Measures 42.3 inches
- Neoprene can stretch to fit sizes of up to 44 inches
- Carried in any position
- Take different types of handguns
- Available for both left hand and right-hand users
- Pocket for spare magazines
- Weighs 7.2 ounces
Best Ankle Holster- Lirisy Ankle Holster
For weapon users who have a soft spot for high-end holsters, the Lirisy Ankle Holster is the ideal product. It comes with a rotation feature that enables you to adjust it for left or right-hand use. This product is made of Neoprene material which is very comfortable. It also has an extra calf strap that keeps your handgun firmly positioned in the holster. Keeping a holster clean increases its durability and functionality. For this reason, the Lirisy Ankle Holster has a cleaning feature that most holsters don’t have. It can be washed in lukewarm water and soap by use of bare hands. You don’t want to carry a dirty holster anywhere!
- Fits a wide range of handguns
- Gives room for easy cleaning
- Has an elastic retention strap for quick release
- Ideal for both right hand and left-hand users
- Foam pad for utmost comfort
The Best Shoulder Holster- Gould & Goodrich 804 G17 Gold Line Shoulder Holster
Shoulder holsters are by far the best resort for gun users with back pain problems. The gun weight distributes evenly. Your shoulders and back will thank you for that. In addition, the Gould & Goodrich holster comes with top-notch specifications that will suit your needs best. The shoulder holster is fully adjustable for your maximum comfort. Its back swivel helps the holster’s straps to lay flat on your shoulder. Completely concealing your pistol is not a problem.
- Weight of 0.9 ounces
- Made of leather
- Completely adjustable for comfort
- Fit a wide range of Glock pistols
- Gives leeway for carrying double ammunition
Best Gun Belt- Bullbelt Steel Core
As a beginner or experienced shooter, you need an excellent gun belt. Otherwise, where will you attach your holster? This gun belt stands out among many in the quest to give you the best experience with your holster. Since its creation in 2009 by Daltech Force, the belt has been ranked among the top most sought-after holster carriers across the globe. It is made up of heavy leather that prolongs its durability and effectiveness. Compared to standard belts, the bullbelt steel core gun belt is the most comfortable.
- Made of leather
- 1.5 inches wide
- Available in different sizes
- Weight of 8 ounces
What Should You Look For In A Gun Holster?
Purchasing a gun holster is as important as buying the handgun itself. You should put more consideration on the best features that suit your pistol before buying. Different holsters are personalized to cover different types of guns. Also affects the mode of retrieval used in drawing your weapon. As a firearm user, I will give you firsthand information I researched with gun holsters. Below are the features that make a good holster.
- The material used to make your gun holster. A crucial consideration to put in mind. Different materials used pose different effects on how quickly you pull out your gun in case of emergencies. Contraband materials wear off quickly, and at the same time make it an uphill task for you to draw your handgun when the need arises.
- Mode of Access. The primary reason for purchasing a gun holster. You want to place your weapon in the most natural position possible. When the holster is mounted on your hip or belt, accessing it with a firm grip is so easy. Some gun owners prefer owning a holster that primarily shows the weapon off. Is this pride? Nah, I call it a, form of satisfaction in knowing that the people around me are aware of my gun. This plays a significant role in scaring away individuals with ill motives.
- Retention. The retention of a gun or weapon holster is its ability to remain fully attached inside the holster. The method used in incorporating retention in a holster dictates how difficult or easy it would be to pull out your handgun. Therefore, how your gun lays inside the holster depends on the type of gun holster you use.
Before picking that gun holster off the shelves, keep in mind that it will affect the experience with your gun positively or negatively. This depends on the holster you purchase.
Is It Necessary To Have The Best Concealed Carry Holster?
As an action movie fanatic, I watch characters tuck handguns behind their pants. How comfortable is it to stick a loaded weapon directly in your body? It’s dangerous to the people around them and poses a high risk to the users should things go south. Despite being an expensive (or cheap) undertaking, purchasing a gun holster is an investment worth taking. Having said that, let’s look at the bigger picture of the safety holsters bring. So, why purchase a concealed carry holster?
- Protects the Trigger Guard. The primary reason behind gun holsters was to ultimately keep the trigger at bay from the reach of outsiders. Placing your index finger voluntarily or accidentally on the trigger would result in the gun going off. For those who find pleasure in sticking their handguns in pants, this would be disastrous should the trigger go off. You don’t want to wake in a hospital bed, do you?
- Conceals your Weapon. Earlier on, I noted that some people price themselves in showing off their gun to the people around them. However, not every gun owner wants to expose their weapon. For this reason, a gun holster has bulk layers which tend to deform the shape of your gun. This move helps you confuse your enemies who might mistake it for a cell phone. A good holster is also equipped with a bulk shield that breaks up the gun’s lines.
- Stabilizes your Gun. I have this feeling that some action movies are more of a reality than stage-managed. Ever watch a character who sticks their handgun down their pants without a waistline belt? How do they manage to run across the streets with police officers running after them without their weapons falling out? Extra pocket of skin? Don’t think so. Purchasing a holster lets you cruise without worrying about its safety. Once you place your gun in it, rest assured you will find it perfectly positioned should you need to pull it out. You don’t want to gamble with your safety, do you?
- Gives you more Comfort. Trust me, a gun holster will make a big comfort difference. It spreads the weight of the gun around your waist and gives room for you to pocket other valuables. The most comfortable thing was pocketing my gun together with my car keys, mobile phone, and wallet. The holster also keeps your body away from the gun’s friction which would make you uncomfortable.
What makes a Great Concealed Carry Holster?
There lays a wide array of holsters available in the market hand-made to suit firearm users. Disregarding what a holster is made up can be one of worst made mistakes. During my first holster purchase, I came across lots of them made from various materials. It made it hard and confusing to pick from all the choices. To my understanding, all the best concealed carry holsters were the same thing. But to my surprise, they were different. The purchase I made was of the lowest material quality and in no time it worn out. Since then, I researched the materials that make up different types of holsters.
There are many materials that make up a gun holster. Cloth, leather, nylon, shark skin, and Kydex. Your choice will determine how long the holster serves you while maintaining its durability.
- Cloth. Among them, holsters made of cloth aren’t very great. It is not surprising to note that it’s also the cheapest of all. My first holster was short-lived after picking the cloth holster. It didn’t go well in harsh demographics and weather conditions. Don’t even think about taking it in the rain! In no time I was back in the shelves after it turned to rags.
- Leather. This is a classic in the gun industry. Master leather crafters are known to be able to produce very high level holsters. Obviously your going to pay a hefty fee for them as well. They are made to fit specific guns, batches of guns, and used in various parts of holsters.
- Kydex-based holster. It is basically an injection molded plastic. It is very reliable and durable! Its ability to remain firm when subject to extreme conditions is great. When dusty, you can wash it in running water without wearing it down. Keep in mind this is one of the most popular materials for gun holsters.
- Neoprene. A nice soothing elastic material. This material is also used in many of the best concealed gun holsters because it is very comfortable.
Now that you have the material down, how effective will you be when using the holster? An excellent holster is equipped with a reinforced opening tip where the gun is inserted. Using some leather gun holsters can be comfortable, but the bark stops at when you draw the weapon. A majority of the reinforced openings collapse at the mere pull of a gun. This poses a significant challenge when placing it back. I tend to distance myself from holsters without the opening since a slight mistake can cost you a lifetime.
Different types of Concealed Carry Holsters
One of the most important accessories you can purchase apart from your gun cleaning kit is a handgun holster. However, different holsters are made to cover different weapons perfectly. It’s best to be well-informed of your gun’s make before purchasing a holster. If your state of residence allows the use of weapon holsters, then you are one significant step ahead of the rest. Have a good look at the different types of holsters below;
- Inside the Waistband Holster (IWB). The Inside Waistband Holster is the most common since the invention of holsters. I’m pretty sure you have seen them in the movies or local security officers. They provide a wide area for maximum concealment when tucked beneath your shirt or pants. The Holster’s effectiveness is facilitated by a gun belt that is thicker and stiffer than standard straps. The holster is attached to the belt by use of loops, clips, and hooks. Amongst all the holsters, the IWB is the easiest to grab should the need arise.
- Pocket Holster. Are you used to pocketing handguns? There is a special holster for you! A pocket holster is placed inside the pockets of your pants, just like the name suggests. Despite being the easiest to conceal, these holsters are viable to owners with small handguns. The main reason for this type of holster is its ability to remain undetected. You have the upper hand in case you need to defend yourself. The enemy might not know your reaching for your weapon as you dip your hand in your pocket. That surprise element will be sure to have pinned them down.
- Ankle Holsters. The Ankle Holster is widely used by people who engage themselves in regular training activities. Though strapped to the ankle, the gun can’t be easily accessed compared to other gun holsters in times of danger. However, this concealed spot comes in handy in a few scenarios. Maybe you like carrying a backup handgun? In close combat, you may get pushed to the ground; easy access to your ankle firearm. This holster is also great for people in a wheelchair or car, easily accessible from the seated position.
- Shoulder Holsters. The Shoulder Holster uses long straps and loops that keep the firearm to the side of your choice. This enables an even distribution of the gun’s weight all around your body. This will keep the holster wearer comfortable. For people with constant back pain, this proves to be the best remedy for them to conceal their weapons.
It is without a doubt that the market is full of concealed carry holsters. But based on my own research, the above-mentioned gun holsters and gun belts are the best you can buy for now. Again, what works for me might not work for you. People all have different preferences. It is up to you to make a decision through research. If you can, I’d advise that you try many different gun holsters out first. This way, you can find the best gun holster for yourself.
Found my passion for firearms while serving in the United States Army. I served active time and currently still in the reserves. I earned the German Schützenschnur, or German Armed Forces Badge for weapons proficiency while stationed in Germany, earning a Bronze medal for that event. I built this firearm blog to educate beginners on shooting gear, firearms, safety, firing fundamentals, and all other sorts of firearm topics.